Friday, November 25, 2011

The best quote I've read today

"Picture books are for everybody at any age, not books to be left behind as we grow older. The best ones leave a tantalising gap between the pictures and the words, a gap that is filled by the reader's imagination, adding so much to the excitement of reading a book." Anthony Browne 

I would add that the best picture books leave a gap filled not just by the reader's heart. The best picture books leave us with that good feeling that can't be captured, bottled, or packaged. As I write this I think of so many picture books that I treasure, such as Cicatrices (Marcelo Birmajer),  Mr. Bow Tie (Karen Barbour), Un secreto del bosque (Javier Sobrino & Elena Odriozola), El pato y la muerte (Wolf Erlbruch), Sophie's Masterpiece (Eileen Spinelli), and Galimoto (Karen Lynn Williams).  Many more can be added here, can you think of some?

No comments:

Post a Comment